Sunday, March 4, 2012

Crazy Cat Lady?

We always made fun of the lady on the corner; she was called the cat lady because cats were all around her house.  You could see them lazing on the porch, strolling across the yard, or lurking from the roof.  It was a sight to behold, and since I love cats, I always enjoyed driving or walking past to see how many I could count that day.  I'll admit: I was a little jealous of her.

Fast forward about a decade.  I was told by a student last fall that I am now the cat lady.  It started out with a little stray that showed in the middle of our first winter.  She was petite and friendly and hungry.  I would sneak food out to her.  She had a couple of kittens the following summer; they neither one survived or stuck around.  But then Zippity had two litters the following summer.  Some of those had kittens the following summer, and the cycle was set.

When school started last fall, I was feeding twenty cats on my back deck and front porch.  (Yes, I had to feed them two places because the mommy cats had their kittens out back and ran off the males and older kittens.)  Yesterday I counted fifteen when I fed them, but there were several missing that I knew were just not around at the time...and there were a couple of strays hiding on the edge of the pine trees waiting for me to go back inside.

Yep...it is spring.  There will be new kittens born in a few weeks.  I am not jealous of the lady on the corner any more...

9 comments:

  1. I kind of chuckled through this...the sneaking of food to one little kitten and it leads to so many more. My brother-in-law did the same thing and now feeds about as many as you do!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Catchy title. I fear becoming a cat lady now the children have moved out and it is me and my faithful companion, whom I talk to frequently.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, Debbi. :)I had to chuckle also. I have heard of that crazy cat lady that lived in your neighborhood. My youngest daughter is also a cat lady. She works at the animal shelter and brings home cats and kittens. She says she is fostering them. Hmmm...some stay for a long time. I don't even ask her for a count anymore. I'll have to get you two together. Or maybe not.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Loved it. Cat lady, yes. Crazy, no way. :D Enjoy your kittens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. There is a running joke in our family wondering which one of us will end up being the crazy cat lady first. I SO connected with your story. Thanks for sharing,

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ditto, Terri! They certainly love you, Debbi!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ending line made me laugh. What a great picture you paint with your words.
    Ruth

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hmmm, for some reason I identify with you, Cat Lady :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ruthie...we have been identifying with each other for YEARS!!

      Delete