Wednesday, March 14, 2012

Patience and Blood Pressure

Today's word is Patience.

I am a pretty patient person.  I wasn't always that way.  I remember tugging on a parent arm many times in the hope that said parent would realize I was bored and ready to move on!  But as I grew older (and hopefully wiser), I have developed a high level of "stick it out and wait" mentality.

Today I took the morning off to go to the doctor for another blood pressure check.  I schedule them as early as they will allow me.  I arrived fifteen minutes early in the hopes that they would get me in quickly.  I sat in the waiting room for fifteen additional minutes.  After the dreaded weight check, the nurse did the dreaded blood pressure check.  Are any of you surprised that it was high?  I wasn't.  Twenty minutes later, the doctor entered the room.  After a short conversation, she took my blood pressure.  It was better but still not where she would like it to be.  After a little more conversation, she took it again.  At that point, she didn't even tell me what it was.  My guess?  Not good.

When I take it at home, it is normally better.  My conclusion:  While waiting at the doctor's office beyond my scheduled time, knowing I have to get back to school at a certain time, not knowing how my students are behaving, I lose patience.  And that make my blood pressure rise.

On a positive note, though, I saw a robin on my way back to school.  Deep breath...the end is in sight....spring is coming...I can be patient and wait a bit more.

3 comments:

  1. You handled that frustrating moment well. I agree about the frustration felt just by being at the doctor's. Robin sightings are always good things. Hope your day continues with goodness and lowers that blood pressure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being patient is a difficult thing at times. I really like how you ended this slice. I think lately, we ALL need to take a deep breath. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I liked your last line. The end is in sight. Thank goodness.

    ReplyDelete