Thursday, March 7, 2013

A is for Attitude

I have an attitude issue today.  In fact, I've had more than one!  The first attitude problem hit when my alarm went off.  I did not want to get out of bed.  But I did.  My negative issues with early morning just have to be ignored: I have a job to do.

Attitude #2: People were just annoying me!  Since we missed testing yesterday due to weather, we were needing to take the planned Wednesday test today.  I thought that was pretty simple.  Then just go on with the rest of the day.  I knew there would have to be a time adjustment, but I also knew that the administrators would get it to us.  Some people cannot adjust easily, apparently, and kept calling the office or buzzing each other's room to ask things.  My solution: I went to my room and sat at my desk to work on some things.

Attitude #3:  I do not understand how my students can think every opportunity is social time.  I try to do three to four different things every day so that class time is broken up.  This allows me to hit more than one skill during class.  It takes FOREVER for them to settle down since there are no bells due to testing.  Every transition is another "recess" time.  And when I give them time to read and write, they prefer to talk.  I wish I had time given to me every day to read and write!  This is an ongoing attitude issue: I usually resolve it through some form of disciplinary action for the student, but I just get a headache.

I am sitting in my room over lunch.  I gave myself a break....or a time out!  I am hoping by putting all of this into words, my attitude will improve before my afternoon classes arrive.

Inhale....deep breath...exhale slowly....and again....

6 comments:

  1. Glad you could take some "me" time and regroup before the afternoon. Hope the rest of the day went well. It sounds like it could be a "wine" evening - relax, pamper and rejuvenate. Tomorrow will be a better day.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can totally relate in my kindergarten classroom. Tomorrow is a new day! Good Luck!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your afternoon went better. I agree time to read and write every day would be a gift!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Attitude can make or break us....I like the breathe, inhale...etc. It helped me relax and enjoy the moment.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm just started reading a book titled Quiet. I thought of the few pages I have already read as I read through your past...thinking about those students and people around us who are not so quiet. : )
    I too wished i would have had time to read and write everyday when I was a student!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL!!! I have to give myself a time out now and then too! :-) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete